Saturday 3 January 2015

My 2014| An odd one.

Happy New Year!!

Hello, loves.

I know I'm three days late but as long as the New Year sales are still going on, I think I can get away with this.

I've read a lot of blogs and YouTube vids all titled '... 2014' with all different beginnings. Lots of them have been explaining the different events that have gone on in a year, how much difference a year can make, most include a few near years resolutions too.

My 2014 started off a little oddly. As many of you know and are probably tired of hearing about, I came home from hospital on NYE last year and so I never properly celebrated it.  It was an emotional few days once I got home because I was very new to all of the things that come with being Diabetic and feeling generally emotional and having damaged my shoulder from the hospital bed, I was all achy. 

I'm pretty sure I was discharged at like 7pm or something and went straight to bed once I got home (after attempting to eat a spicy veggie deli wrap from McDonalds and dying because my lips were too chapped for spicy things from hospital air con). Even the fireworks didn't wake me up.

2014 was a massive learning curve. I had to learn how to be brave because before last December, I was petrified of needles and now I have 5 needles or more in my stomach a DAY. I had to learn not to flinch whenever I had to use my finger prick ( I still do now). I had to learn how to walk downstairs properly because I was so weak and in pain from the ordeal I went through, I just wanted to stay in bed. I used to love going on days out but the first few days of January, I couldn't handle being out for more than an hour.

For the most part, 2014 was an incredible year! I realised my soul mate was next to me all along, I met one of the best friends I've ever had, University was so much more interesting and I got closer to my friends there.

I also finally realised that my passion is Journalism. Writing is extremely important to me and I'm very good at it and so my blog was born!

I grew up this year.

Happy New Year, friends. Have a safe one.

Kate x

p.s - I read one of the best articles this year in a book I got for Christmas, 'Cupcakes and Kalashnikovs - 100 years of the best journalism by woman' by Eleanor Mills and Kira Cochrane and I had to share my favourite passage from it.

It's called 'Fabulously Fat' by Erin Pizzey -
"Obviously if you have spent all your life looking at pictures of women with anonymously regular bodies, the idea of stripping off in front of the love of your life is not actually easy. There are various approaches like climbing into the wardrobe and coming out in a flannel nightie buttoned from the chin down to the feet. There is the 'night flying' approach which is to say that you are just going to tidy up - and get him to go ahead and get into bed. You then strip off in the loo, charge into the bedroom, switch off the light and make a crash landing on the spot where you hope he is not. If he is, you might be arrested, and under the circumstances - as one might put it - you would probably get off with manslaughter or, if the judge had a sense of humour, 'parking in an occupied zone'.


No comments:

Post a Comment